The Water Resources Association of San Benito County (WRASBC) represents the City of Hollister, City of San Juan Bautista, Sunnyslope County Water District and the San Benito County Water District for all their water conservation and water resource protection programs. This cost effective and collaborative approach has yielded the following:
- Water use in the Hollister Urban Area has gone from 212 gallons of water use per day per person in 1998 to 105 gallons per day as reported in the 2015 Hollister Urban Area Urban Water Management Plan.
- The WRASBC has replaced over 7,000 high consumption toilets with low-flow models.
- Over 1,200 water softeners have been demolished through the WRASBC rebate program.
The WRASBC uses three tools to assist them in lowering water use:
- Incentives: Toilet Replacement Program (rebates and free toilets), Landscape Hardware Rebates, Free Water Wise Landscape Plans, Water Softener Assistance and Rebate Program, FREE Home Water Checkups
- Education: Workshops, School Programs that includes fieldtrips to a water treatment plant and wastewater facility (transportation paid by the WRASBC), supplying a speaker to Service Organizations and government entities to explain water issues in San Benito County.
- Legislation: The WRASBC reviews landscape plans for compliance with the State’s Model Efficient Landscape Ordinance. The WRASBC assist people transition from self-regulating water softeners that use salt and/or potassium after ordinances were adopted by the City of Hollister and the Sunnyslope County Water District prohibiting the installation of these appliances. During extreme droughts, as in 2015, the WRASBC assists with enforcement of water restrictions.
Click here to visit our website or call us at (831) 637-4378